While working at a public elementary school as a Technology Coordinator back in 2013-2104, I wanted to find an efficient (and free) way to implement a help desk support system with Google Apps. I created the Automated Online Help Desk w/ Google Apps based on this developers tutorial. Read on to learn how you can easily create one for your school!
The Automated Online Help Desk w/ Google Apps uses a combination of Google Forms, Google Sheets, Scripts, and Google Sites (classic version).
The benefits that this help desk system offers are:
- It's FREE!
- I've laid out all of the steps in a easy to follow tutorial!
- You don't have to be a script or coding guru!
- Assign & prioritize help desk tickets with numbers and urgency levels
- Automatically send emails on you behalf to communicate the process
- It's all organized and managed in a Google Sheet
- Push frequent help requests to a Knowledge Base on a Google Site
The complete step-by-step tutorial, with copies of the Google Form and Google Sheet, including all of the necessary scripts can be found on my webpage at:
I don't personally use this Help Desk system any more because I've changed schools and they use their own Help Desk software. However, I frequently get educators and IT support emailing with questions and praise about it so I continue to support it!
I recently created a Google+ Support Community at the request of a user. Consider joining the community to ask questions and share ideas!
With a new school year quickly approaching, consider giving the Automated Online Help Desk w/ Google Apps a try! Or share this with your school or district administrator or IT support office.